Tuesday, September 4, 2012

To Vaccinate or Not to Vaccinate?

I was unpacking boxes yesterday and I found all of the books I read while I was pregnant.  Among these were my vaccination books.  I purchased them because during my child development studies, we touched on the rising rate of Autism and the suggested link between vaccinations & Autism.  The pharmaceutical companies deny any link of course but I think we can all list several instances where pharmaceuticals have gone very wrong.

When I tell people that Akepa is not fully vaccinated, some people look at me like I'm crazy.  (I really could less, but it's just a nice reminder that the majority of people buy into everything their doctors tell them).  When I approached Akepa's pediatrician about only partially vaccinating her, he was surprisingly accepting.  He told me that it was ultimately my decision as the parent and he was especially understanding when I declined the MMR.  He confirmed that the MMR vaccine had indeed received a great deal of controversy and gladly accepted my decision to pass on it.

If you are looking for a new read, looking to have babies, are pregnant now, or just want to educate yourself on vaccinations, take a look at a couple of these books.  One was written by pediatrician Dr. Sears, another by Jenny McCarthy who's son is autistic, and the last is written by Dr. Stephanie Cave, Practitioner and Vaccination Expert.




1 comment:

  1. I haven't discovered absolute proof yet but what's the harm in being careful, there are some of the vaccines that aren't necessary early. Our Pedi's office almost doubled up on one vaccine but I had kept records and alerted them to the mistake before they gave it to Chloe, we no longer use that office.

    ReplyDelete